Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Ryder Cup - Postscript

The hex of the Ranting Nappa virtually did for Tiger Woods (see previous post 22 September)in the Ryder Cup, but what a contest, what an epic of sporting theatre!

Having spent most of the weekend "glued" to the TV I reckoned that I watched some of the best golf shots and sequences of televised play that I have ever seen (and I've seen a lot). Hearty congratulations to the European team, and to the Irish hosts.

There was several defining moments (mostly featuring Darren Clarke) but for me it was on Saturday afternoon when Paul McGinley missed a putt on the fifteenth green to keep his (and Padraig Harrington's) match against Woods and Furyk alive. The TV cameras briefly caught look of utter despair on the spectators faces, some holding their heads in anguish. That instant showed just how expressive the Irish can be, and I'm sure that two pints of Guinness later their woes were all forgotten.